ARKANSAS SPL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARKANSAS SPL

MORE THAN JUST CAR AUDIO!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My new wall ...

Go down 
+3
James Reed
kylevh21
MikeWilson
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kylevh21
Pro
Pro
kylevh21

My new wall ... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 1:55 am

i was thinking the same thing
Back to top Go down
MikeWilson
Veteran
Veteran
MikeWilson

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Correct!

However, there are 7 different combinations for this current setup that I know of ... 6 of which are stable.
Back to top Go down
kylevh21
Pro
Pro
kylevh21

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 pm

could you spell that out i would like to know 7 combinations to your setup
Back to top Go down
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 8:02 pm

me too because i can only think of 4
Back to top Go down
MikeWilson
Veteran
Veteran
MikeWilson

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 12:37 am

1) All coils wired parallel, all drivers wired in parallel. (Unstable 0.5ohm final load, ironically, this option isnt even the loudest, though one of the better ones for a suitable amp)

2) All coils wired series, drivers wired series. (8ohm final load)

3) All Coils wired in parallel, drivers wired in series. (2ohm final load)

4) All Coils wired in series, then drivers wired in parallel. (2ohm final load)

5) One coil wired to the other coil on the other woofer in parallel other coil left open, then wired to the amp. (1ohm theoretical final load, but this option poses shifts in the T/S parameters)
[I'm currently using this on them now, final reading as a 1.2 to 1.6 ohm final load, and it seems to be a bit louder, and if my calculations are right ...about 1db over most of the passband, but i won't know until i meter it]

6) One coil wired a coil on the other woofer in series, and the other two coils left unconnected. (4 ohm final load, and T/S parameter shifts)

7) A coil from one woofer can be connected to the coil of another woofer in series or parallel, and then connect the other two coils together in either series or parallel to the amplifier for different loads. (I've tried this, but never took a reading, or calculated the final impedance... but it wasnt as loud as option #5 so I didnt bother with it)

The following can't apply unless I have 2 amps ...

Cool Wire each sub to one amp in parallel, for 2 separate 1 ohm loads (I'm finding this option to be one of the best in my personal experience despite the obvious advantages of just running two amps strapped)

9) Wire each sub in series then to each amp, for 2 separate 4 ohm loads (its not an option I'd seriously consider unless I had a special amp... otherwise it fails)
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 7:14 am

MikeWilson wrote:
1) All coils wired parallel, all drivers wired in parallel. (Unstable 0.5ohm final load, ironically, this option isnt even the loudest, though one of the better ones for a suitable amp)

2) All coils wired series, drivers wired series. (8ohm final load)

3) All Coils wired in parallel, drivers wired in series. (2ohm final load)

4) All Coils wired in series, then drivers wired in parallel. (2ohm final load)

5) One coil wired to the other coil on the other woofer in parallel other coil left open, then wired to the amp. (1ohm theoretical final load, but this option poses shifts in the T/S parameters)
[I'm currently using this on them now, final reading as a 1.2 to 1.6 ohm final load, and it seems to be a bit louder, and if my calculations are right ...about 1db over most of the passband, but i won't know until i meter it]

6) One coil wired a coil on the other woofer in series, and the other two coils left unconnected. (4 ohm final load, and T/S parameter shifts)

7) A coil from one woofer can be connected to the coil of another woofer in series or parallel, and then connect the other two coils together in either series or parallel to the amplifier for different loads. (I've tried this, but never took a reading, or calculated the final impedance... but it wasnt as loud as option #5 so I didnt bother with it)

The following can't apply unless I have 2 amps ...

Cool Wire each sub to one amp in parallel, for 2 separate 1 ohm loads (I'm finding this option to be one of the best in my personal experience despite the obvious advantages of just running two amps strapped)

9) Wire each sub in series then to each amp, for 2 separate 4 ohm loads (its not an option I'd seriously consider unless I had a special amp... otherwise it fails)

Number 8 from above is the "best" setup for what you have, 3-7 are hard on the subs electrically and if one of your voice coils get weak, it will drop more current across it if you have an issue and kill the woofer WAY faster. I have seen more problems come about with amps when you wire subs in series together instead of the traditional parallel setup, but it is your equipment and you have to deal with it when/if it kills over.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ami-customs.com
MikeWilson
Veteran
Veteran
MikeWilson

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 12:59 am

Quote :
Number 8 from above is the "best" setup for what you have, 3-7 are hard on the subs electrically and if one of your voice coils get weak, it will drop more current across it if you have an issue and kill the woofer WAY faster. I have seen more problems come about with amps when you wire subs in series together instead of the traditional parallel setup,

I've been considering two amps for a long time, and I'm thinking my amp purchase will be two AQ2200D's; it'll be similar to the way I ran them before (2 MA HK2000D's) , and it worked out decently. For right now, number 5 is working out quite nicely, since I run them fairly conservatively to avoid clipping from that gawd awful MA amp of mine. #'s 5 - 7 are the most unstable as you said (as in, woofer-killing) ... but with this little bit of wattage, and my very conservative use of them on daily with this method , I don't expect them to die any time soon...but if they do, I've got backups in mind already...
Back to top Go down
kylevh21
Pro
Pro
kylevh21

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 7:35 am

well are you goin to make it to any of the up coming shows i want to hear yours
Back to top Go down
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 10:33 pm

me too
Back to top Go down
MikeWilson
Veteran
Veteran
MikeWilson

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 am

Fordyce this saturday...

If I don't go out tonight the time will most likely be used to work on my paper and run the 1/0 awg and install the amp and the baseboard for the amp rack. I will also begin filling in the doors and dampening them up to reduce cabin losses... (Hell, just by tightening up the door panels some with expando foam I've noticed a bit more output in the 14 - 26hz range, but nowhere near satisfactory)

I may begin fiberglassing the sidewalls in to house the mid ranges...

I've picked the amps I will start saving for, and the lucky winners are:::
(2) AQ 2200D's
Back to top Go down
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:15 pm

good choice!
Back to top Go down
kylevh21
Pro
Pro
kylevh21

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 am

great choice on the amps
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 am

Which those amps, once your electrical is upgraded to power them, that will POUND those subs!!!! Nice!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ami-customs.com
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 pm

yea i have heard they are very power hungry
Back to top Go down
MikeWilson
Veteran
Veteran
MikeWilson

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am

Yea ... I'll buy them before the electrical upgrades, then keep the gains down ... (way) down .... Still wont be able to push more than 500w clean RMS tops per amp, so theres no real dB gain until I get the electrical support to back it ...

Right now I'm working on sealing the cabin... finding all the little nooks and crannies where air is escaping and limiting my performance What a Face . Also, tightening up the door panels to reduce the flex on them, which turns into lost deebeez Sad

Today I did manage to accomplish the beginning of fiberglassing the side panels for the components. I'm basically building another box for the left and right side between the "wall-box" and the side of the car. A simple ported enclosure tuned to 70hz should fill in those midranges that I need quite nicely, and give the solid, full sound I'm looking for when daily listening comes into play. I also managed to run my first run of 1/0awg to the trunk, where the amprack has yet to be built.

It looks like total shit right now, but its coming together slowly but surely. The potential for cosmetic work is through the roof still, so not all hope is lost to make it look presentable. I do my hobby on a restuarant employee's wages Sad ... I'll post pics when I can.
Back to top Go down
kylevh21
Pro
Pro
kylevh21

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:33 am

just about everyone on here is broke from buying subs and amps
Back to top Go down
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:36 pm

i broke before i even buy anything lol
Back to top Go down
MikeWilson
Veteran
Veteran
MikeWilson

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 12:55 am

144.2 -> 146.8

No power upgrades...just doing some acoustics work in the car... I'ma see how far I can stretch this out ... Lol.

"How much louder can I possibly make it by fucking with my cabin more?"

What a Face

The techniques I will begin employing will not be disclosed publically until I understand how they work better .... I think.... that I should be able to nail a 147, maybe even a 148 all sealed up without ever having to upgrade any equipment....
Back to top Go down
jonatan
Pro
Pro
jonatan

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 12:58 am

if u keep working hard u sure will
Back to top Go down
MikeWilson
Veteran
Veteran
MikeWilson

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 1:01 am

Well, raising my SPL number isn't my priority concern.... I'm approaching it with the perspective of "20hz note isnt as loud as I want it to be, how can I force it to be louder and lower without modifying the box" ....

It just so happens that raising the number is a wonderful side effect Very Happy ... Not to mention the "tremendous" jumps in SQ from sitting inside the vehicle...
Back to top Go down
kylevh21
Pro
Pro
kylevh21

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 am

well i went from 147.9 to 148.5 just moving meter and seats
Back to top Go down
MikeWilson
Veteran
Veteran
MikeWilson

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 12:53 am

Well I drove in some hellacious storms, as did Kyle, for a demo... lmao

I'm assuming he was pleased... <crosses fingers>
Back to top Go down
jonatan
Pro
Pro
jonatan

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:14 am

Lol demo what? Hope all of u are ok, bad weather out there affraid
Back to top Go down
kylevh21
Pro
Pro
kylevh21

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:57 am

yea it was great just made it home tho sounds great for a wall
Back to top Go down
kylevh21
Pro
Pro
kylevh21

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:58 am

that lightning was the shit and scared the shit out of me lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new wall ...   My new wall ... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new wall ...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next