ARKANSAS SPL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARKANSAS SPL

MORE THAN JUST CAR AUDIO!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?

Go down 
+3
justinadams
AMI CUSTOMS
craigjones806
7 posters
AuthorMessage
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Empty
PostSubject: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 10:34 pm

I've seen several posts on different message boards where people are running 3-4 batteries with a stock alternator. In most, there is no mention of isolators or any kind of switching being used. How are they not constantly going through alternators?

Also, back in the day, you would never see different battery types/sizes used in the same vehicle (including the one under the hood). Now, I'm seeing installs with two or three different battery sizes in them. Has battery technology changed that much in the last 10 years to allow this kind of flexiblility or are people just installing them and "getting away with it" for a little while?
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 11:55 pm

In the agm side of things, technology has changed quite a bit over the last ten years, optima's now suck, so do deka's and kinetik, xs power is the leader in the battery market other then cactus or batcap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ami-customs.com
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:38 pm

So are you saying that isolators and high output alternators are not necessary for two and three battery installs due to changes in agm battery technology?
Back to top Go down
justinadams
Rookie
Rookie
justinadams

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 11:25 pm

not necessary, but highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 11:23 am

You want to match your demand!!! IF you system requires 800 amps of current then you need 1000+ of charging amperage plus a battery backup of 800 amps RC capacity. Otherwise you will drop below the setpoint of the alternator charging output (14.1-14.9) or even worse down to resting voltage of the battery bank, (12.6-13.1)

Reason you want more charging amperage then your demand is simple, you don't want to run any electrical component at 100%, you lower the lifespan.

ALL OF THIS IS FOR A DAILY SETUP, something that will have a wide range of frequency in bass output and current pull.

Isolators are not ever needed in a daily setup.
Back to top Go down
bruce leroy
Pro
Pro
bruce leroy

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 4:55 pm

i'm mcdriunk
Back to top Go down
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 10:41 pm

So is it ok to run a 14 volt battery without charging system upgrades? This route would include swapping the starting battery to 14V as well.

The 120 amp alternator I have puts out 14.5 at idle with no demand on it. With the cheap amps, I have never seen voltage drop past 13 at idle.
Back to top Go down
fritosaregood
Pro
Pro
fritosaregood

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 2:24 am

No, you need to charge around 1.5 to 2 volts higher than resting voltage, so you would need around 16.5 volts to charge
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 2:51 pm

You would need some sort of external or internal regulation on the alt to charge at 16+ volts.
Back to top Go down
MadMaxx
Veteran
Veteran
MadMaxx

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 5:24 pm

resistors work for gettin the voltage up but idk if they do any longterm damage to the alts, me n a friend did it to his car just to test a theory and were surprised to see the output at like 16.7v iirc
Back to top Go down
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Back to Andrew's first response, I can't believe no one has commented on his statement about Kinetik batteries (considering how many I see currently being used). I knew that Optima was no longer worth anything from racing and never felt that Deka was a "front runner" in batteries. I have no personal experience with XS Power or Kinetik so I'd like to see some posts from other people as well.

I know ya'll are probably getting tired of questions, but I'm getting closer to start making some purchases to rework my truck. I just need to sell a race quad, an enclosed trailer and the current sub/amp set up and I'll be making some HUGE changes, hence all the recent questions.
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:24 pm

My own personal real world test of kinetik vs xs power showed the same the xs power battery recovered faster and with more voltage after drop. I compared a hc2000 to a D6500 with a real 180 amp 30 second tone pull on a memphis mojo 2500.
Back to top Go down
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:48 pm

i too will go with xs power. it will be awhile though.
Back to top Go down
fritosaregood
Pro
Pro
fritosaregood

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 11:31 pm

so the "fake kinetik" beat the real kinetik, haha
Back to top Go down
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 11:51 pm

Andrew, thanks for the clarification on your "they suck" post.
Back to top Go down
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:08 pm

I've been reading and researching and have come up with another battery question. Does anyone know of a XS dealer anywhere in central Arkansas?
Back to top Go down
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Street Sounds can get them, but i bet you can get them online as cheap or cheaper.
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:50 pm

Just get them direct from XS on Team pricing, they are located in Knoxville, TN so shipping is like 2 days on ground.
Back to top Go down
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm ready to make a purchase on batteries and have been leaning heavily toward the XS Power, until I saw some NSB 90s. By comparing Ah and CCA ratings, it appears that the NSBs are about 1/2 the cost of XS.

I wouldn't expect them to be the same as XS, but when you can buy twice as many for the same dollar, you have to at least consider it an option. Plus, I have seen them tested (on message boards) against Kinetik and winning so reason would say that they fall, at the very least, somewhere between the performance of the Kinetik and an XS.

So let's hear the opinions out there on NSB.
Back to top Go down
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 11:13 am

from what i hear nsb 90 are the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?   Multiple batteries w/stock alternator? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Multiple batteries w/stock alternator?
Page 1 of 1