ARKANSAS SPL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARKANSAS SPL

MORE THAN JUST CAR AUDIO!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hair trick, how to?

Go down 
+3
AMI CUSTOMS
fritosaregood
craigjones806
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

Hair trick, how to? Empty
PostSubject: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Just curious, I've seen a few videos around showing hair tricks and can/cup tricks. I was wondering, what "tricks" were involved?

I think it goes without saying that large and/or lots of subs and lots of power need to be used, but I looking for hints on things like effective frequency ranges, port configurations, etc. . .

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot or has been covered before. If it has, post the link in this thread for me please.
Back to top Go down
fritosaregood
Pro
Pro
fritosaregood

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 am

You just gonna be able to move lots of air.
Ive done it with a single 15 and an 18, so its not super necessary to have lots of subs, but it helps.
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 1:36 am

Yeah I can do hairtricks on almost any rap song. Power and cone area makes it easy but a proper box and 1500 watts can do it in the right vehicle. But I would say on average you need at least 150 db to make it happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ami-customs.com
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm still trying to do one myself, so sorry can't help. pale
Back to top Go down
bruce leroy
Pro
Pro
bruce leroy

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 pm

i do it after eating taco bell
Back to top Go down
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 pm

2 15s and 2k got it done in the Navi(With test tone). Its all in the Enclosure working with the vehicle to move the air. I have seen vehicle doing just mid 40s do a nice trick(granted mids 40s at low freq).
Back to top Go down
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 pm

bruce leroy wrote:
i do it after eating taco bell

yeah but i call that a "crappy" hair trick lol.
Back to top Go down
bruce leroy
Pro
Pro
bruce leroy

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 pm

haven't tried it on my new setup. may do some testing since sat will be like almost 70.
Back to top Go down
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 pm

bruce leroy wrote:
haven't tried it on my new setup. may do some testing since sat will be like almost 70.

Have you even metered since them things have started to break in?
Back to top Go down
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 11:43 pm

I appreciate all the input, but still not sure if there is a sure fire way to do this. Again, I'm just curious since it is not something that was done "back in the day".

As far as the moving air/proper box comments, it sounds like port configuration would play a HUGE roll in doing a trick. Can you guys at least agree on that?
Back to top Go down
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 am

craigjones806 wrote:
I appreciate all the input, but still not sure if there is a sure fire way to do this. Again, I'm just curious since it is not something that was done "back in the day".

As far as the moving air/proper box comments, it sounds like port configuration would play a HUGE roll in doing a trick. Can you guys at least agree on that?

To an extent. Everyting plays a part. Depends on the setup, subs, vehicle, power. There quite a few factors to get the air moving. Lower tones seem to do better, But x-mas and power to make it move enough will be what helps the most there. What kind of vehicle you have? BTW, my vehicle "back in the day" did hair tricks Smile 98'. My Navi set up for the 2 15s was a daily listening enclosure and tuning. Im thinking like 12 sq.in. of port per cubic foot. Not big at all.
Back to top Go down
craigjones806
Veteran
Veteran
craigjones806

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:45 am

James, 98 was about the time I was getting out. Alma Gates was just beginning to make a name for herself and most of today's audio companies didn't even exist yet.

Now, I've got a 97 F-150 ext cab. It's my daily driver/quad hauler. Probably not going to do anything serious enough for competition, but may make an appearance at a show or two to check it out this year.

I am now a HS math teacher so most of my questions are the result of discussions I have with my students.
Back to top Go down
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:54 am

craigjones806 wrote:
James, 98 was about the time I was getting out. Alma Gates was just beginning to make a name for herself and most of today's audio companies didn't even exist yet.

Now, I've got a 97 F-150 ext cab. It's my daily driver/quad hauler. Probably not going to do anything serious enough for competition, but may make an appearance at a show or two to check it out this year.

I am now a HS math teacher so most of my questions are the result of discussions I have with my students.

Lots of cool math to be had in car audio. Might be a good bridge between yourself and for some of your students.
Back to top Go down
bruce leroy
Pro
Pro
bruce leroy

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 6:35 pm

James Reed wrote:
bruce leroy wrote:

Have you even metered since them things have started to break in?
no not yet, does seem to be louder though Smile
Back to top Go down
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:35 pm

It should get a little better once they break in.
Back to top Go down
AMI CUSTOMS
AMI CUSTOMS

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 4:31 am

craigjones806 wrote:

A little can be a whole lot, all depends on design, power, cone area. Good luck and get loud!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ami-customs.com
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Back to top Go down
bigbrown
Rookie
Rookie
bigbrown

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

fritosaregood wrote:
You just gonna be able to move lots of air.
Ive done it with a single 15 and an 18, so its not super necessary to have lots of subs, but it helps.
What 15 was it?
Back to top Go down
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Think is was the audio pulse he had.
Back to top Go down
fritosaregood
Pro
Pro
fritosaregood

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 1:47 am

yea, audiopulse, box was crappy too, about 2 cubes with 25sq in of port tuned to 22hz.
Back to top Go down
bigbrown
Rookie
Rookie
bigbrown

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 pm

What did you hit with it? I figure I'm doing about 138-140 at 35hz.
I hit just under 145 with 2 RE SE's on same amp and box@35hz.
Back to top Go down
bigbrown
Rookie
Rookie
bigbrown

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Now I just got a gorilla 15" (old school mojo motor, some memphis basket not sure really, Fi bl D1 coils 4 spiders, quad leads and qpower parts) all put together with gorilla glue. Not to bad for scrap parts I don't guess. I only got $25 in the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
rob t
Pro
Pro
rob t

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 11:15 pm

how did you get into building your own subs?
Back to top Go down
bigbrown
Rookie
Rookie
bigbrown

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Lots of blowen up subs and boardem.
Back to top Go down
James Reed
Pro
Pro
James Reed

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 11:40 pm

bigbrown wrote:
What did you hit with it? I figure I'm doing about 138-140 at 35hz.
I hit just under 145 with 2 RE SE's on same amp and box@35hz.

If i remember right he was only doing like 144-146db
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hair trick, how to?   Hair trick, how to? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hair trick, how to?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ARKANSAS SPL :: General Discussion-
Jump to: